[Artemisia] Yay for Good TV! :D

Tamar Black Sea tamar at coteduciel.org
Tue Nov 15 21:41:47 CST 2011

Gefjon wrote:
"They sound like they have nothing to do with historical re-creation,
and are only interested in smashing each other off of horses. "

I agree that The Knights of Mayhem came off as very macho and bad-a**;
however, as far as historical accuracy goes, wasn't the whole point of
jousting to kill or injure the enemy to the point where they were no
longer a threat? Jousting was, and is a martial art. It's roots are in
war and heavy cavalry training.  As far as being historically correct,
jousting to un-horse an opponent is more representative of what you
would see in war or in medieval tournaments than the jousting we do in
the SCA.  The concessions our medieval counterparts made to the health
and well-being of tournament participants would not be acceptable by
today's standards. One of many examples of the brutality of medieval
jousting is the fact the France discontinued jousting when King Henry II
was mortally injured during a joust.

As for "knightly qualities", as far as I'm aware, historical knights
(defined here as members of the cavalry), intended to kill their
enemies. It wasn't nice, or pretty, it was war. Going back to the time
of Xenophon (and  earlier), mounted warriors were used in war because
they could move faster than foot soldiers and do a heck of a lot of
damage when utilized effectively by their commander.

I guess what I'm saying is that I respectfully disagree with the
conclusion that the Knights of Mayhem have nothing to do with historical
re-creation. In the middle ages, different tournaments, in different
eras, had their own sets of rules about how jousting would be conducted.
Not every tournament was set up with the "un-horsing" style of jousting,
but many did, indeed, have un-horsing as a goal. Jousting to un-horse an
opponent is brutal and dangerous.....and very historical.

One interesting bit of trivia is that, to this day, "tilting" is the
official sport of the state of Maryland. (I think they might mean
tilting at rings here; but the martial origins remain the same.)

Having said all this, I personally wouldn't want to do the un-horsing
kind of jousting. As I've gotten older, I've discovered that I no longer
"bounce" the way I did when I was younger. It REALLY HURTS to fall of a
horse. It's no fun. I like SCA-style jousting just fine :-), but if the
Knights of Mayhem want to get the crap knocked out of them, I say, more
power to 'em.

-tamar