[Artemisia] Yay for Good TV! :D

Gene Mealey rapierfighter at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 16 13:03:46 CST 2011

Not having yet seen it, but knowing what TV caters to (being an expert couch potato)  I'm guessing that the safety of the horses is pretty important on their end.  I'm betting PETA and other groups are watching them closely so they're probably being very, very well taken care of.  After all, a show that depends on horses as much as this does can't afford to have these big groups go after them.

Additionally, it sounds like the show is entertaining - which is what TV is shooting for, it's all about the numbers.  If it's a fighting show, there has to be Testosterone (and in buckets), or it's probably going to fail - interesting personalities often come with that.
The few ads I've seen are not touting this show as 100% authentic to the time period, so only the creators can tell you if the show is keeping to their intentions.
I do think a comparison discussion of the show vs period vs SCA could be both productive and enlightening for all involved - as long as it's kept civil as previously mentioned.

Like I said, I haven't seen it, so feel free to correct me if I've missed something.

I'm going to have to DVR it and see if I can watch it later.  :)

Baron Antoine

"The fastest way to a man's heart is through his wrist..."

Thorian Thorsen

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,
therefore, is not an act but a habit."
Aristotle

"The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be."

Socrates