[Artemisia] Question for Kurtis/William (was Yay for Good TV! :D)

Freydis the Good freydisthegood at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 12:12:18 CST 2011

inkslinger1 at q.com  10:53 AM (12 minutes ago)  Wrote:

If you don't mind forwarding this on to the list for me, thank you.

*****************************************************************************************************************************

Well, it sure looks like the Knights of Mayhem on Nat Geo ruffled some
feathers in the SCA. My question to anyone feeling this way is, why? These
people at no point claim to be members of the SCA, nor is the SCA even
mentioned. Yes they call themselves knights, so what. It's not like there
are any actual knights that I know of in the SCA. Now before you go off all
half cocked on me, stop and think. We have SCA knights, and those people
are only recognized as knights within the SCA. An actual real life knight
would be someone like Sir Patrick Stewart. Does Mr. Andrews conduct himself
in a way that is commonly considered as chivalrous and knightly by SCA
standards? No he does not, but he isn't required too either. It is not Peer
like behavior to impose ones ideals of chivalry upon another person who
doesn't even belong to our organization. It is also not Peer like behavior
to speak ill this way of something someone else is doing outside of the
SCA. Running around and gossiping *period* is not Peer like behavior.
Aren't we all suppose to be acting like Peers whether we have been
recognized as such or not? I see a group of guys who love jousting, and are
putting everything on the line to try and get it recognized as a
professional sport like MMA is today. In order to do that they need to
convince state and federal legislatures of this, and they need to attract
the attention of sponsors. I think this TV show is an excellent way to get
that accomplished in a hurry. I bet Dana White of the UFC saw Knights of
Mayhem and thought " I wish I would have thought of doing things this way
when we started out." I personally wish the Knights of Mayhem and all the
rest of the people doing this heavy armored jousting the best of luck in
making their dream a reality. I intend to watch this show for the violence
of course, but also to see if these people can make their dream come true.

In Service of Many Dreams

HL Aaron di Paladin