[Artemisia] Knights of Mayhem show

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Thu Nov 17 12:57:25 CST 2011

> HL Aaron di Paladin wrote:

> Well, it sure looks like the Knights of Mayhem on Nat Geo
> ruffled some feathers in the SCA. My question to anyone
> feeling this way is, why? These people at no point claim to
> be members of the SCA, nor is the SCA even mentioned.

(snippage)

It is not Peer like behavior to impose ones ideals of
> chivalry upon another person who doesn't even belong to our
> organization. It is also not Peer like behavior to speak ill
> this way of something someone else is doing outside of the
> SCA. Running around and gossiping *period* is not Peer like behavior.
> Aren't we all suppose to be acting like Peers whether we have
> been recognized as such or not?

I'm sorry - I do not believe voicing or discusing ones opinion in an open forum is gossiping. I am a *huge* believer in 'free speech' as long as discussion is kept civil. Please to not try to tell me that voicing a different opinion from someone else is bad behavior for a Peer.  I respectfully but strongly have to disagree with you.  And frankly my opinion had/has *nothing* to do with knights in the SCA.  At all.  I had thought about posting about the show before someone else brought it up, just because I wondered what others thought about it. (as a discussion topic)  As far as 'knightly' behavior - I know that "knight" had different meanings in different times and places.  But LONG LONG before I had ever heard of the SCA - or any reenactment group for that matter - there was that (probably romantacised) vision of what a "knight" was.  I suspect that many others, in and out of the SCA may have had the same vision. It certainly didn't fit what I saw on TV.  *Which is fine*.  They have every right to play their game the way they want.  Do I have some concerns  - yep - but they have already been voiced.  Do I particularly like the show?  Nope.  But that's my right. No one is forcing me or anyone else to watch it, and apparently many seem to enjoy it.  (there are many shows that others like that I dislike!) I wish them well, and and hope they and all their horses stay safe.

Gefjon