[Artemisia] Chivalry and Opinions

Hellfyre N'Brymstone hellfyrenbrymstone at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 11:54:56 CST 2011

I must say...to this very post...Vivat!

There are so many versions of what Chivalry is or isn't, even within our
own group.  Not just our Kingdom, our very own Chivalry List.  I have, as a
Squire gone to several Knights whom I have great respect for and asked very
specifically what they think the Knightly Virtues are and how they define
Chivalry.  I can tell you with great specifics, that not one of our Knights
has told me the same thing.  I started this "quest" because as a Man at
Arms statements were being bantered around about how non-belts must "follow
the Knightly Virtues" to be on the path of Knighthood.  Yet no one was
taking the time to tell us non-belts exactly what those virtues were.  So
I, being an inquisitive of mind, decided to find out exactly what they
meant.  Needless to say, a year later, I am still defining that question,
and the fact that there are no clear cut answers, makes me quest for it
more!

I look at "Knights of Mayhem" exactly as Duke Alan has so graciously put
it...as a possible path to Medieval History.  Whether its period or not, it
gets people, the likes of whom may not have ever thought of playing within
our Dream, at least consider looking into something more.  At least more so
than they would have watching NASCAR.  I think any spark that can lead them
to us (or similar groups like us) is wonderful.

The fact that William has done so well, is doing what he enjoys and has
made it far beyond anything that most of us only dream of...is wonderful.
I have actually got to put on some of the armor he has made for the show
and its pretty damn awesome!  I am not a fan of jousting really, I can't
get into the "fray" as easily as I can fighting heavy, but more power to
those that can do such wonderful things on the back of a gigantic beast!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everyone is entitled to free
speech.  The missing component more often than not is respect.  Respect for
everyone, not just those people you like.  Unfortunately, it is lacking
more and more these days.  Again, even within our own groups.  How often
have you heard heavy fighters criticise the fencers?  Yet, THEY are the
ones using more period equipment, period stances, period garb much more so
than the heavys do.  There's even more period reference material for
fencing than any other form of fighting, yet we "stick jocks" can't let it
go that they're just "swishy pokes" hehe.  And granted some is done in good
fun...because we all know a heavy would never fence, at least not until
he's a Duke >;p  But at times, I've seen the animosity almost come to
blows.  Yet we are all part of the same organization, the same Kingdom,
hell the same household sometimes!  And we can't always get along...but if
we tried to have more respect for what the other group is trying to
accomplish, the better off we ALL are.

Same goes for SCA vs. Knights of Mayhem.  It takes guts to put yourself out
there, it takes a lot to stand up for what you want and go for it.  How
many SCA-centric shows have people talked about creating but never got off
the ground...yet here's jousting on TV!  I gotta give respect for getting
it that far...regardless of content...it got MADE!

I think we all could use the ideals of chivalry (no matter what you think
they are), respect and honor in how we deal with our fellow humans,
regardless of the topic, and still be able to voice our own opinions, loud
or not.  As long as we remember everyone else has the right to express
theirs too.  So before you open that door, remember that and prepare
yourself accordingly.

Two specific points I would whole heartedly agree with Duke Alan on...

1) Cowboy Up!  Amen brother...
2) A Knights Tale Rocked!!!

Rogue