[Artemisia] Fwd: New changes/rules approved

Elfwyn Starrsdottir elfwynthedane at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 25 19:26:37 CDT 2011

Hellfyre I so agree! I plan to teach a re-vamped Artemisian History 101 at Southern Collegium this spring. I've always found SCA history incredibly interesting -- fencing, fighting, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...

Shoot me an email off-list, I'd like to talk to ya =)

On the original topic...

There are two places I see glaringly mundane plastic that isn't going to be addressed by the new rules. One is the Japanese armor made of uncovered kydex (which can be identified a hundred yards away or more) and the other is the molded-plastic basket hilts. Yes, I realise that the plastic hilts are VERY nice to use in that they are light and strong, but they look dreadfully, glaringly mundane. I know they are carefully made by some great folks, their appearance reminds me of industrial-grade rubbermaid garbage cans.

How much should we compromise form for function, and how much should we compromise function for form?

YIS,
Elfwyn

From: Hellfyre N'Brymstone <hellfyrenbrymstone at gmail.com>