[Artemisia] Fwd: New changes/rules approved

Hellfyre N'Brymstone hellfyrenbrymstone at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 21:31:07 CDT 2011

LOL I totally forgot I wasn't using my SCA email - This is HL Rogue by the
way...

In regards to the plastic, especially the Japanese armor, I am happy they
are at least attempting period armor!  I would think that some where out
there, someone has tried to paint the plastic to make it look more period.
I know there are spray paints that are made specifically for plastic, that
could simulate leather or wood.  Even the hammered paints would look nicer
compared to the plain plastic but again, while the black is glaring, it does
"blend" better than the horrific blue.

On the basket hilts...we have to face it that we use big wooden sticks as
swords.  Are there ways to make those sticks look better?  Hell yes.  Keep
the tape looking nice, hell there's even polished steel & wood grain duct
tape now, so cover it up!  If you have a spear thats plain bamboo, stain
it.  I did mine in under 10 minutes and it looks so much better I can't even
begin to think about not staining things in the future.

My issues are more towards the unkept armor that has tape goo all over it,
weapons that have duct tape hanging off of it with the strapping tape
showing through.  Wearing sweats & tennis shoes instead of dark pants & at
the very least boots.  Although I will tell you that wearing period shoes is
awesome & I will NEVER go back to heeled boots. Not covering your hockey
gear/football gear/lacrosse gear with a tunic or tabbard and going out Nike
swooosh a blazing!

I have definite opinions about gear, hell I'd love to teach a class on *Why
Period Shoes are Better* or *Why you should wear LESS armor *but I doubt
anyone would listen lol.  And I have my own things that still need to be
fixed, top of my list is to ditch the blue foam from inside my helm and get
a period armoring cap which has been on the list for a couple of months.
Now that camping season is over I have more time to get those things done,
much to my Knight's happiness lol.

My bottom line is, fix the things that are easy...then make a list of things
you can do eventually.  If you need help, ask for it.  If you can give help,
offer it.  I think if more Households & select groups offered to help
individuals out or even have a joint "fix it" party, it would foster better
relationships between groups & promote growth within the fighter base.

In fact, since I am the new Captain of the Guard for the incoming Baron &
Baroness Bjorn & Jenet, I will suggest just that!  Have 1 fighter practice
every quarter that is specifically designed for people to come, get (and
give) help fixing armor, making armor, work on their kit & get suggestions
for armoring garb, how to use period rivits, hell how to even clean their
gear properly.  I am sure we have all gotten an unwelcome whiff of someone
who should really learn to clean their kits (linen & wool are your
friends!).  It will also get us ready for the upcoming War season and help
individuals learn how to properly care for themselves with a little help
from their friends, it will also promote interaction within our fighting
communities as well!  Not everyone is part of a household or has the
connections to get invited to such things, so those of us with resources who
are willing to help should reach out & see what we can do creatively!  They
are OUR fighters, why not take time out to help them & make our local area
that much better.

Amazing what typing stuff out can get you to think about...=)

Rogue