[Artemisia] straining rattan, was Re: Fwd: New changes/rules approved

Raymond Zentz rayzentz at aim.com
Wed Oct 26 13:38:45 CDT 2011

Noble Thorvald has inqired regarding the process for straining rattan. I thought this was common knowledge. Apparantly not. While there may be other methods, here is how my family did it, when I was a kid (one of 15). We used sticks from trees, but the same process should work for rattan...

1. Have your children, or neighbor children, if you have none yourself, build mud dams at either end of the Curb in front of your house.

2. Fill the curb with water between the two dams, or wait 'til it rains

3. place one or two rattan sticks in the water between the two dams, and let soak for at least three days.

4. Allow an older child, or again, older neighbor kid, smash the rattan sticks with a sledgehammer, making big muddy splashes in the meantime

5. have the children scoop the rattan pieces, and much mud, out of the gutter into a a wheelbarrow. A 5 gallon bucket or two  also works well for this

6. spread the nicest bedsheet in the house (a sleeping bag will also work well) on the grass in the front yard, and dump the contents of the wheelbarrow onto the sheet.

7. Have several children surround the sheet, and holding it tightly, lift the sheet, and the dumpings from the bucket, and toss the contents into the air a few times, catching the more solid remains in the sheet as they come down, as the liquid drains through the sheet.

8. Use the garden hose (or fire hose) to wash the mud off the kids, and wash the mud dams down the street..

Congratulations. You have now strained rattan...