[Artemisia] Congratulations to the winners of the Realm of Venus Costuming Challenge

Hastings Sanderson hodgepatch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 13:30:26 CDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM,
<artemisia-request at lists.gallowglass.org>wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 09:19:32 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jeri Foster <jofvertsilva at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Artemisia] Congratulations to the winners of the Realm of
>        Venus   Costuming Challenge
> To: "Artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org"
>        <Artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org>
>
> Greetings,
>
> I was perusing the SCAtoday.net and noticed that 2 Artemisians were winners
> in the Realm of Venus Italian Renaissance Costuming Challenge. "The overall
> winner, as well as the winner of the best entry by an Italian Renaissance
> novice, is Dvorianka Praksedys Turova doch' (Hastings Sanderson) of the
> Province of Arrow's Flight in Artemisia.? Second place overall, as well as
> the winner of best handwork, is Lady Cara di Appollonio (Hannah Longbottom)
> also of Artemisia."?
>
> Wow! I was really amazed at the amount of work done in that short period of
> time and I think it looks great. Take a look at?
> http://renaissanceitaly.net/TempFiles/ItalRenCostumingChallenge-Winners.htm.
> If you click on the photos you'll see the write-ups each contestant put up.
>
> Congratulations to both of you. Just Super!
>
> Jerilyn of Vert Silva, OP

Thank you so much!  I had a really fun time doing it and, as it was my first
Italian gown, it was such a learning experience.  I had a great deal of help
and support from both Maestra Serafina and Maestra Bianca as well as Lady
Fiametta and many others in the kingdom garb community in finding
resources.  They were all so generous in letting me pick their brains and
listening to me fret and worry about what I was making.

The Italian Renaissance Costuming Challenge at Realm of Venus served as the
jumping off point for our own Kingdom-wide Artemesian Costuming Challenge.
52 members of the kingdom are trying to make 4 layer outfits in their
preferred period by New Year's Eve to show off at 12th Night.  If you aren't
already following it, you can find links to the various participants and
their blogs at Cote du Ciel's site
http://coteduciel.org/challenge-entrants.html  Some great stuff already
happening and 95 days to go!

If anyone is interested in Italian, Realm of Venus is about to start a
mini-challenge on October 1st.  having a deadline is really nice for some of
us procrastinators.  This one is making one item either worn or held in the
hands (handkerchief, ring, gloves, zibellino etc.)  I'm making a leather
bound book for my entry :)  Its not too late to enter if you're interested,
and I'm sure some fabulous things will be made if you want to just ogle to
pretties.
http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/challenges/IRCMC-Oct2011.htm

It's so exciting to see all the fun going on and beautiful garb being made
in our kingdom.

Ever to Your Service,

Dvoryanka Praksedys Turova doch' OGML