[Artemisia] Scribal Challenge!

Valerie Scarbrough vscarbrough at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 12:17:33 CDT 2012

Greetings from Mistress Bethany of Windermere to all the scribes of Artemisia and please pardon my cross-posting and also the length of this email.

A while back I was talking with Mistress Bianca and Baroness Bengta about sponsoring a scribal challenge to help inspire the wonderful artisans of this Kingdom to help fill the scroll case of the Barony of Gryphon's Lair.  Just yesterday, Bianca asked if the details had been ironed out and here is the reply and the details for this challenge.

ALL scribes or wanna-be-scribes throughout the Kingdom are more than welcome to join in this challenge for fun, learning and PRIZES!  The scrolls entered into this challenge will be considered donations to the Barony of Gryphon's Lair to be used at the Baron and Baroness' discretion.

Here is the email and the rules, etc. are attached and will also be added as part of the body of this message in case the attachment doesn't work for some people:

 YES,  I certainly do have the Scribal Challenge details worked out, dear Mistress Bianca!

The official announcement will be made at Quest, but I'll post the details wherever interested people may lurk before then, in fact, they are attached to this email :)
The Challenge will run from Saturday, May 26th at Quest to Friday, August 10th at Midge Marsh Melee since those are Gryphon's Lair's big summer events.

Before the official challenge is made, I'd like all who are interested to look at the rules and parameters so that questions can be fielded and problems "headed off at the pass" before we begin.

One thing that I'd like to have worked out before the start of the challenge is who the judges will be.
I'll need two more people at least besides myself to judge this challenge.
To be fair, judges may not compete in the challenge.

I would also love it if judges had a good working knowledge of scribal arts as they pertain to the SCA if at all possible.

***For any questions or concerns, please contact me on Facebook (Valerie Howarth Scarbrough), at this email address, or by text or phone call to (801) 900-0277.***

Mistress Bethany of Windermere

P.S.   Prizes will be given to ALL participants and for those who score the most points in each skill level category, there will be special prizes.   As soon as I know what all the prizes will be, I will announce them also.  Right now, I have a gilding kit and and some scribal arts inspiration and source books.

Gryphon’s Lair Scribal Challenge Official Rules and Parameters:

Why this challenge is being issued?
This challenge is being given in order to fill the scroll case of our beloved Barony of Gryphon’s Lair with fabulous illuminated “blanks” to be used at the discretion of Baron Michael and Baroness Bengta and to bring joy to those deserving individuals who will receive these blanks when they receive awards within the Barony.

It is also being issued because I love the scribal arts and want to see them grow and flourish within the Kingdom of Artemisia.

The Challenge (as I’ll call it from now on) is officially being sponsored by our wonderful Baroness Bengta!

*Note that all blanks received for judging in this challenge will be considered a donation for the Barony of Gryphon’s Lair’s use.

The Scribal Challenge will officially begin Saturday, May 26th at Quest for Atlantis in Gryphon’s Lair after it is announced in court (at their Majesties’ and Excellencies’ discretion).
The Challenge will officially end Friday, August 10th which is the Friday of Midge Marsh Melee in Gryphon’s Lair.  All blanks to be judged need to be submitted to Bethany NO LATER than Noon on Friday so that judging can be carried out before court on Saturday at MMM.  I am hoping to announce the winners and have them receive their prizes in court on Saturday (once again at their Majesties’ and Excellencies’ discretion).

Submitting any blanks before the due date, would be greatly appreciated as it will make the process of judging them much easier.
If the weather is inclement for judging on site, provisions will be made to judge off site.

The parameters:

1. Each interested entrant may submit up to 10 scroll blanks.  Each blank will be judged on its own merit.  No extra points will be given for quantity.
2. Blanks are to be illumination only.  Space should be allowed for calligraphy and signatures to be added later.
3. The name of the scribe and any information about the inspiration piece should be written in pencil on the back of the blank.
4. All blanks must be started and completed during the Challenge time period (May 26th – August 10th).
5. Judges may not enter blanks into the competition.
6. Scroll blanks are to be between the sizes of 8½” x 11” and 11” x 14”.
7. There will be 3 skill levels for this competition and entrants are to write on the back of their blanks the skill level at which they are entering.

The skill levels:

Novice: A person who before this challenge has completed less than 10 scrolls.

Advanced: A person who before this challenge has completed between 11 and 30 scrolls.

Expert: A person who before this challenge has completed at least 31 scrolls.

*if you don’t know exactly how many scrolls you have completed, use your best knowledge to pick a skill level to enter under.*

Scroll blanks will be judged as follows:

1-5 points for materials used:  More points will be awarded for period or close to period materials (with explanation in the documentation) as well as how many different materials are used, i.e. an extra point for using gilding.

1-5 points for content and design:  More points will be awarded in this category for using a period source as “inspiration” instead of a more modern design as well as how difficult the execution of the design was, i.e. white vine would garner more points than bar and ivy.  Also, design concepts and balance will be judged under this category, i.e. do the colors work well together? Are the design elements in balance proportionally?

1-5 Points for Workmanship:  Points will be awarded for how well executed the illumination is.  A difficult design that is poorly executed would garner fewer points in this category than a simpler design that is near flawless.  Also, if there are mistakes that haven’t been corrected, these will detract from the score.

1-2 Points for documentation:  1 point would be awarded for minimal documentation, i.e. a book with a manuscript in it that is done in the same style and a list of materials used on a 3 x 5 card. Two points would be awarded for documentation that goes above and beyond minimal documentation. Note that more points will be earned in the materials category for either documenting the use of period materials or explaining why more modern materials were used in their place.

1-3 points for Judge’s Discretion:  Points in this category will be awarded based on how the judge feels about the piece’s artistic merit as a whole.

Judges will have a judging form to fill out for each blank and will be encouraged to give constructive advice whenever a score is less than perfect.

The most important advice I have for this challenge is:  Have FUN and add to your learning and skill!

Mistress Bethany of Windermere