[Artemisia] August Maysun Challenge: Under there! Underwear!

Andrea Balla aravis227 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 15 09:08:48 CDT 2012

Good morning my artsy friends!
It is time to issue the August challenge.  The challenge is "Under there!  Underwear!"  In the next month and a half your challenge is to create an accurate piece of under clothing for the time period and country of your choice.  It can be any type of underclothing, from drawers, hose, or braies to camacia, shirt, pirihan, or kosode and anything else your persona might wear.
For this challenge minimal documentation is required, it can be as simple as a picture or an extant item with a brief description of what you're doing and how you decided on a construction method.  Documentation could be along the lines of:  I'm making a woman's pirihan, which is a Persian undershirt.  I am using an extant 14th century example as my basis.  The extant example seems to be constructed from a central body piece, with gores under the arms and on the sides for shaping and was likely made of a lightweight linen *included picture of extant item*  Or another example of basic documentation:  I am making 16th century men's hose.  These are seen on most men in portraits of the time.  I am using the construction method described in The Tudor Tailor *included random portrait of man wearing hose*
This challenge will end on August 31st.  All documentation and pictures of completed item should be emailed to me or posted to the Maysun Challenges! group on Facebook by September 1st.  I will be at Midge Marsh Melee of you prefer an in person showing.
As always, please let me know if you are participating either here on facebook or by email: aravis227 at hotmail dot com and please feel free to join us in the Maysun Challenges! group on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/269991416432495/

In service to the dream,

Lady Maysun