[Artemisia] July Challenge!

Andrea Balla aravis227 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 12:13:41 CDT 2012

Greetings to all!

It is time to issue my July challenge!  It is a few days late, since the 15th fell during Uprising, but I hope you will all forgive that.

Many of us have received awards or seen people we care for receive awards in recognition of their contributions to the Society.  We do the things we do because we love them, but it is always wonderful to know that others see, appreciate, and admire what we do.  One of the wonderful parts of receiving an award are the amazing scrolls that are given with the awards.  This is something that is done behind the scenes and for most of us they seem to just appear out of nowhere.  They do, however, come from somewhere and it is from the amazing and dedicated artists of the Kingdom.  So, this months challenge is scribal arts!

At the request of Their Majesties and to honor the reign of Sean and Nisa the challenge this month is to create and donate to the Kingdom a scroll blank for any kingdom armiger level award.  Within the Kingdom of Artemisia the armigerous awards are The Award of Arms, for armored combat The Order of the Golden Gryphon's Talon, for arts and sciences The Golden Maple Leaf, for service The Golden Pillar of Artemisia, for archery The Gryphon and Pheon, for equestrian arts The Cheval d'Or, for excellence in research The Gryphon's Eye, and for rapier combat The Golden Scarf.  For those who live in other areas I encourage you to create and donate a scroll to your kingdom.

I understand that we all start at the beginning with arts and that many of us are very shy with our early attempts.  If you are truly uncomfortable creating a scroll for an award then I encourage you to participate in the challenge by creating a display scroll for your personal use.  Include a favorite piece of poetry or lyrics to a song, use your personal motto or simply create a lovely heraldic scroll.

Please contact me if you plan to participate in this challenge so that we can make sure the scrolls created are fairly well spread amongst the different awards.  If you have no experience with scribal arts please contact me and I will do my best to put you in touch with someone in your area who can help you.  I am including a link to the Scribal page on the Artemisian website if you need any tips. http://www.artemisia.sca.org/heralds/scribal/

I also recommend, as you consider creating your scroll, think of those you know in the SCA.  Do you know someone who deserves to be recognized?  I encourage you to write a recommendation to your local Baron and Baroness or to Their Majesties and let them know about the people they may not see.

This challenge will end on the last day of July.  No documentation is required, but if you use an inspiration please share that!  Please send pictures or post them to the Maysun Challenges group on Facebook.  I look forward to seeing what you create!

Lady Maysun
aravis227 at hotmail dot com