[Artemisia] [LochSalann] RE: July Challenge!

Michael the Loud hanhebin at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 19:31:27 CDT 2012

If you want to purchase scribal materials the best thing to do is to wait for the sales at Michaels or get a 40% off coupon from the newspaper.  A few $$$ here and a few $$$ there do add up.  (For example.  A tube of acrylic LiquiTex Basics cost $4.99 a tube.  I have a few dozen tubes of different colors so paint adds up )

I use Strathmore paper and prefer a Vellium finish.  Usually work in 9"x12" or the 11"x17" (also the Bristol finish is great)  In the past several months I have seen several sales at Michaels that have been 40% off 2 for 1.

When work had me stuck in the hotel out in Atlantia several months last year, Master Tristan got me into illumination but he uses more acrylic than watercolor and egg tempera. I know plenty of scribes all over the place cringe when they see me bring out my acrylic paints but if you water them down you can make them look just like watercolor.  You also have the advantage of all the hard work you do doesn't get ruined by a single drop of sweat.  Many scribes don't like acrylic because of a so-called flaking issue but if you use plenty of water you won't have any problems and I've tested that numerous times with my 4 year old daughter.  With acrylic, when in doubt add a few more drops of water and a small dot of acrylic goes along ways.

With watercolor I use distilled water but with acrylic I can use normal tap water.  I bought a couple of water containers that I always bring with me so  I can just go to a fighter practice or event and just start illumination.

For outlining rather than use a fine brush, I use a .05 micron pen (black, blue and red) for most of the stuff but for very fine detail I use a .03 micron pen.  If you do happen to paint over a line with acrylic you can re-outline detail and you can't do that with watercolor.

Biggest thing I have found is that if you are going to spend $$$ then spend it on brushes.  Higher quality brushes that can be shaped into a tip are what I have found to be the best.

Something else I have found useful as my eyes aren't as good as they used to be because mundanely I'm on the computer all day is a 3.5x magnifying glass.  The one I have isn't anything fancy as I think my wife got it in the crossstich section at Joanns