[Artemisia] Youth Combat for the summer events

Raymond Zentz rayzentz at aol.com
Thu May 31 17:45:34 CDT 2012

Greetings, Lords, Ladies, and all youth fighters of our fair kingdom,

Summer is now upon us, and youth combat is alive and well. As many of you are aware, the rules for youth combat have been updated, and are available on the new kingdom website, as well as guidelines for making youth combat weapons, and shields.

Many groups are putting into place youth marshals, but there is still a great need for adults willing to be marshals for youth combat activities. Older youth can also act as marshals, under the supervision of an authorized adult. Contact me if you are interested, and willing to support the future of combat in Artemisia.

At Uprising, there will be  a grand tournament, where the new kingdom youth champions in each of the three age categories will be determined. The current champions all hail from the Mighty Barony of Gryphon's Lair. Are there any other youth fighters who are brave enough, skilled enough, and bold enough to take the championship honors to their home groups? The current champions say "NAY!"  Who will prove them wrong?

Here are words specifically intended for parents. Youth fighters need to have their own gear. While marshals do usually have some loaner gear available, this is intended for those who are new to the SCA, or for those who have never fought before. Those with experience in the SCA know that individials are really responsible to have their own gear. Take the time, as you prepare yourselves for the various activities in which you participate, to also make sure that your young fighters have all the gear they require. The requirements are not many, but they ARE required, because of legal reasons, which are in place to protect this game we love so much.

To participate in Youth Combat activities (and this varies a bit depending on age), each fighter must have a helmet. Each fighter must have a weapon. A shield is recommended, but not required. Neck and groin protection is required at some age levels, but really recommended at all. Elbow and knee protecton is required for the 13-16 year olds, and recommended for others. Armor is not required at all, but is encouraged, 'cause it's cool.

If you have questions about the rules, guidelines, or anything else dealing with youth combat, please contact me.

Your in Service to the Dream,

HL Padruig McTavish
Kingdom Youth Combat Marshal