[Artemisia] Period Pesto?

Jeri Foster jofvertsilva at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 11:30:37 CDT 2012

Take a quick look at Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesto . It mentions the first appearance of pesto in a cookbook. However, you might look up sauces. I found one made with parsley that is similar to a basil pesto in The Book of Sent Sovi, they grind parsley with cinnamon, ginger, cloves and toasted hazelnuts. Clifford Wright mentions in A Mediterranean Feast that pesto is closely associated with Genoa, though thought to be of Persian origin. He also says "Although we can't be sure of the first use of pesto, we do know that Genoa was associated with basil, the star ingredient of this pesto, as early as the mid-fifteenth century, from the story of the humanist ambassador and lawyer Francesco Marchese who won his fame on the basis of a remark he made to the Duke of Milan upon presenting him a tub of basil: if treated well, basil gave off a nice scent; if dealt with harshly, it produced serpents and scorpions. Using a metaphor from the most
 famous ingredient of Ligurian cuisine was a hint on how Milan should rule Genoa."
Jerilyn