[Artemisia] Heraldry Notifications and Rejections (PLEASE READ)

Dan Sena arghun at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 10:04:18 CDT 2013

It would help people understand and comply with this ruling if the why
and wherefore of said ruling was explained.

When you submit armory what is being registered is the actual depiction
you colored, NOT the text explaining the armory.  If the two do not
match when they get to Laurel, the text (Blazon) is adjusted to match
the picture (emblazon).  So having the colors be stable is critical.
Also, wax based forms like art pencils, crayons, etc melt and smear.
There are examples of said forms of coloring melting in the mail and
ruining all the forms in a submissions packet.  (Think sitting in a
mailbox in the sun on a summer day).

   The reason Crayola Classic markers are recommended is that the color
stays what was put on the paper for a long time.  If the Laurel office
has to do an actual comparison ten years down the road (like to your
registered arms compared to a new submission) the green will still be
green, the yellow yellow etc.

   98% of computer printing the colors migrate over time - sometimes as
little as 6 months!  Yellow becomes brown, Red, Pink etc.  Thus why
computer printed color is not allowed.  All heralds will celebrate when
this is no longer an issue!

in 2009 a herald by the name of Tecangel Bach in An Tir published a
"marker test" to the SCA-HERALDS newsgroup, which has been posted to the
SCA Heraldry Chat Facebook group files section.  I will add it to the
bottom of this post.

PLEASE Understand - submissions heralds know they are in a customer
service position.  None of them like having to reject submissions, and
do not do so for arbitrary reasons.

HL Brendan ap Llewelyn
former Kingdom Consulting Herald, An TIr