[Artemisia] The making of Lye

dukealan at q.com dukealan at q.com
Thu Jan 23 00:25:22 CST 2014

Hello All you medieval smart folks.....

So, has anyone actually made lye from wood ashes?  I'm interested in making soap, including the raw materials.  I have some rendered animal fat, and have aspen wood ashes, so I'm looking for info.  Preferably real-deal info, rather than just something in some book.

Thanks in advance for any info you might have....which could include a book reference if that's all we can come up with.

YIS,

Alan

PS.  Plus, this list has been dead entirely tooooooo long.  We aren't all on FaceBook, and it seems the communication seems to have comepletely shifted over there....