[Artemisia] The making of Lye

jchapman chapman at lolopeak.com
Thu Jan 23 12:33:41 CST 2014

Dear Alan,
Having tried the wood ashes extraction, here is my experience and what
my research says.

You need LOTS of ashes.  A barrel probably will yield enough for a batch
of soap.  You will need to let the water slowly soak through the ashes
and then collect it as it dribbles out the bottom.  Then it will need to
be boiled down till it is strong enough.  A raw egg was floated in a
solution to test its weight (specific gravity) which will tell you its
strength.  (You might try making a regular lye solution and floating the
egg for comparison.)
The solution off the wood ashes has potassium and will make a soft soap
as opposed to the grocery store lye (drain cleaner) which has sodium and
will make a hard bar of soap.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Judith