[Artemisia] What is a Reverse Laurel's Prize Tourney?

Nikky Scofield claredelacy29 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:38:20 CDT 2014

I have had quite a few comments and questions concerning what a Reverse
Laurel's Prize Tourney is. On the upcoming eve of my own Laurel Ceremony,
I'd like to ask you, dear populace member, what you think of Laurels and
Prizes and Tourneys (oh my), reverse or otherwise. Here is the best
explanation I could come up with of what a reverse laurels prize tourney
is, without rambling on forever :D. Feel free to correct me or interject as
you wish (ala 'a chic pea is neither a chic nor a pea. Discuss!')

 I can't admit to knowing the complete history of it, but here is the idea:
A Prize Tourney is a Tourney with a prize (easy, right?). a Laurels Prize
Tourney, like the one at Uprising every year, is where the Laurels get to
hold their own form of "Tourney", but of course, since there is no
fighting, its done as a display of a non-Laurels art for the Laurels to
"judge". Judging in this case is taken very loosely, much more of a looking
and asking questions and chatting about your art type of thing. Its meant
to be a celebration of arts done over the last year. So, a Laurels Prize
Tourney invites non-Laurels to display their arts for Laurels, and often
Laurels bring a small trinket of their own to give the artisan(s) of their
choice, hence the Prize. That is what the Tourney at Uprising was called
for many many years. I believe a few years ago folks at Uprising didn't
like the competition-suggestion the name "Prize Tourney" gave, so they
changed it to "Laurel's Display". No worries, its still the same concept. A
REVERSE Laurel's Prize Tourney is where the tables are turned and the
Laurels display their art for the non-Laurels to check out. Its a fun way
of taking the Order of the Laurels to task to see what they have been up to
for the last year or so, since a lot of times Laurels don't get to display
their latest art. Being a Peer has a lot of responsibilities and takes time
away from simply doing art, so I hope our Reverse Laurels Prize Tourney
will give plenty of them the chance to show off their stuff and get some
attention to their own art. I know I will have plenty of small trinkets of
my own to bestow on them, as they have for me for many years.

HE Clare