[Artemisia] Artemisia Digest, Vol 126, Issue 13

CenturyLink Customer dukealan at q.com
Mon Mar 24 13:02:42 CDT 2014

History and experience prove that Bronwen is exactly correct.

An earlier reply commented that having Royalty show up makes the event more fun.  I hate to say this, but if you depend on Royalty to make playing SCA fun, you need to reconsider what you do for fun....

Do the math, there are over 15 Artemisian groups (I don't have the number immediately at hand), and there are approx 26 weekends per reign.  A couple of those weekends are holidays, with no events.  In a reign there is a Coronation and a Crown Tournament, and possibly a Collegium or A&S.  So of those 26 weekends, we take out no less than 5, leaving 19 weekends avail able for the Crown to attend a local group's event.  Most of our Crowns try to travel extensively, but no matter how you cut it, the Crown can only be at one place at a time.

So make your events fun without counting on Royalty to make it fun.  That is how you'll build new membership and retain the members you have.  When the Crown does come, it's an added bonus.

I have played in Artemisia when we were a Principality, and it was fun.  But I most certainly do recall how difficult it was to staff the office's, and how "crowded" it got along with Kingdom weekends.

Just some things to consider.

Alan