[Artemisia] Kingdom Collegium class descriptions part 2

Vaun Stevens vstvns3 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 13:52:53 CDT 2014

Greetings!

Here are the remaining 4 pages of the class descriptions list. Enjoy!

*Intro to Cut & Thrust*

Instructor:  Baron Antoine de Bueil

Length: 110 minutes

Brief Description of class:  An introduction to the rules, gear, and
beginning techniques of SCA Cut & Thrust. This a non-contact, information
only class.  Those wishing to progress from rapier to cut and thrust are
encouraged to bring any potential C&T equipment for discussion.

Class size: 10

Age limit:  minimum 16

Fee: none

Students need to bring: Rapier, mask, gloves

*Intro to Insular Majuscule*

Instructor: Duchess Caryn von Katzenberg

Length: 2 hours

Brief Description of class:  Beautiful scrolls are greatly enhanced by the
use of a historic lettering style. Learn the basic pen strokes and letter
forms of the Insular Majuscule lettering style as it appears in the Book of
Lindisfarne (sometimes called “Celtic” lettering.  This is the hand to use
with your Celtic knotwork borders

Class size: 10

Age limit: 14

Fee: none

Students need to bring:  Graph paper, broad edge (calligraphy) markers
(some will be provided)

*Intro to La Verdadera Destrazza (Spanish Fencing)*

Instructor: Lord Wylef the Stubborn

Length: 55 minutes

Brief Description of class: A history of and introduction to the Spanish
Circle form of fencing. This class may include some hands-on safe slow work.
Students will not need protective equipment.

Class size: 8

Age limit: 14-17 with parental approval, 18+

Fee: none

*Intro to Period Food & Cooking*

Instructor: Meistres Gwynnyth verch Morgan

Length: 55 minutes

Brief Description of class: A brief introduction to period food and cooking
with some tips and ideas. Discussion class with hand out, possibly samples.

Class size: any

Age limit: old enough to be interested and behave

Fee: none

*Intro to Textura Quadrata*

Instructor:  Duchess Caryn von Katzenberg

Length: 2 hours

Brief Description of class: Beautiful scrolls are greatly enhanced by the
use of a historic lettering style. Learn the pen stokes and letter forms of
the Textura Quadrata lettering style (sometimes called Old English).

Class size: 10

Age limit: 14

Fee: none

Students need to bring:  Graph paper, broad edge (calligraphy) markers
(some will be provided)

*Keys to Successful Demos*

Instructor: Baroness Rebecca Chadderton

Length:  55 minutes

Brief Description of class: Learn how to prepare for and have a successful
demo

Class size:  any

Age limit:  none

Fee: none

*Leather Tooling and Decoration*

Instructor: Lord Grimulfr Halftroll

Length: 4 hours

Brief Description of class: The class will cover modern techniques used in
leather tooling and painting/dyeing.  Then the class will change focus and
work on Norse leather decoration techniques. Time permitting, the class
will cover leather sewing and armor patterns.

Class size: any

Age limit: 12 and up

Fee: none

Students need to bring: leather tooling set and vegetable tanned leather -
optional

*Period Fabrics*

Instructor: Lady Jane Fox

Length: 55 minutes

Brief Description of class: The foundation of great historical garb is
finding the right fabric. Learn about what fabrics were used and what
fabric is right for certain garments. Also included are sources for where
to buy to the fabrics.  Many fabric swatches will be passed around.

Class size: any

Age limit: none

Fee: none

*Period Soap Making*

Instructor: Lord Forrest of Gumb

Length:  55 minutes

Brief Description of class:  Start to finish, making period soap from
rendered fat and making your own lye. Include free bar of period anise soap.

Class size: 20

Age limit: none

Fee: none

*Precious Metals: Why Were Gold and Silver Chosen as “the” Precious Metals
and Remain So*

Instructor: HE Master Adne Dirdal

Length: 55 minutes

Brief Description of class: I will cover some of the reasons that gold and
silver were selected as the historic precious metals. Workability with
tools and equipment available historically, appearance, scarcity without
being too rare. Samples will be shown.

Class size: any

Age limit: 16

Fee: none

Students need to bring:  curiosity

*Rapier Garb – Patterns & Materials for Rapier Armor*

Instructors: Lady Ankharet verch Meredudd and Baron Antoine de Bueil

Length:  55 minutes

Brief Description of class: A discussion of good materials for rapier
armor, patterns, and armor testing methods, punch-testing fabrics.

Class size: any

Age limit: 14+

Fee: none

Students need to bring:  pen and paper for notes

*Raqs al Assaya [Egyptian women’s stick dance]*

Instructor: Mistress Esther bat Baruch

Length: 55 minutes

Brief Description of class: We will learn the history, identify the music,
and movements from the traditional women’s Saidi stick dance of Upper
Egypt, between Gizeh and Edfu. Having a minimal dance or movement
background is recommended as this is an Intermediate level class.

Class size: any

Age limit: 13 and up

Fee: none

Students need to bring:  A dance cane, rattan stick or dowel rod that
measures from the floor to approx.. the dancer’s belly button.  Clothing
they can move in.

*S.M. Stirling’s Dies the Fire trilogy and the SCA*

Instructor: Duke Alan Youngforest

Length: 55 minutes

Brief Description of class:  Discussion of the series of 3 books in which
the SCA plays a prominent roll. Discussions on pros and cons of Stirling’s
view.  What skills commonly found in the SCA that would be useful and where
is the SCA skill set wanting?

Class size: any

Age limit: none

Fee: none

*Simple Medieval Sweets *

Instructor: Meistres Gwynnyth verch Morgan

Length: 55 minutes

Brief Description of class: Some simple medieval treats, most will easily
pack in your tourney basket. We will discuss briefly – when treats/sweets
were eaten and some of why. Various recipes, may have some with examples
and a chance of tasting.

Class size: any

Age limit: 12+ unless with a parent

Fee: none

*So You Want to Make Mead*

Instructor: HE Mistress Judith of Sherburn

Length: 55 minutes

Brief Description of class: Introduction to mead making.  We will cover
types of meads, equipment, additives, yeast, and bottling. We will talk
about period versus modern methods and have time for questions.

Class size: any

Age limit: 21+

Fee: none

*Spanish Circle Basics *

Instructor: Maestro Azir de Lucera

Length: 110 minute

Brief Description of class: How to create and use a practice circle. Will
create a basic practice circle and learn some basic moves to practice.  You
will take home the ability to create & use your own practice circle. How to
apply the basics to your SCA fighting.

Class size: any

Age limit: 14+

Fee: none

Students need to bring: a rapier if possible

*Spices in the Medieval Kitchen*

Instructor:  Maistreas Caointiarn

Length:  55 minutes

Brief Description of class:  This will be a look, smell, touch, of the
spices used within our study of history. There will be a listing of
reputable Spice Merchants that I have used.  Students may take home a
sample of any spice presented.

Class size: any

Age limit:  8 and up

Fee:  donation for spices accepted

Students need to bring: pen and paper for note taking

*Storytelling*

Instructor: Baroness Rebecca Chadderton

Length:  55 minutes

Brief description of class: Have fun learning some storytelling techniques

Class size:  any

Age limit:  none

Fee:  none

*The Taqsim & How to Interpret it in Arabic Dance*

Instructor:  Mistress Esther bat Baruch

Brief Description of class: Learn what taqsim is and how to use traditional
Arabic cultural musicality to dance to one.  We will listen to several
taqasim played on different instruments and emotionally connect our bodies
to the sounds and structures we hear. Having a minimal dance or movement
background is recommended as this is an Intermediate level class.

Class size: any

Age limit: 13 and up

Fee: none

Students need to bring:  Clothes they can move in, water

*Wine Making Basics*

Instructor: Lord Forrest of Gumb

Length:  55 minutes

Brief Description of class:  Start to finish, making your first batch of
wine. (Lecture only)

Class size:  20

Age limit: none

Fee: none