[Artemisia] Winning or Just Not Losing?

danoman1000 . danoman1000 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 11:31:31 CDT 2015

When people grumble about a tournament not being won cleanly, I think that
it is a symptom of a bigger issue.  The SCA has many varied activities that
each person can pick and chose from.   Heavy combat is one of the oldest of
these activities.  It's very visible, and it draws in a lot of our new
membership.  But it is not the only activity we do.  Yet the fact remains
that it is the only way to win the crown.  And the crown makes the rules
for all of our activities.  I can't speak for anyone else, but that seems
unfair to me.  It doesn't make sense to me that a person who is good at
combat is necessarily a good ruler.  And it doesn't make sense to me to
quibble about the fairness of combat, when it's already unfair that only
the combatants have the opportunity to rule.

Sneferu

--
Dan Lind
praeco sum, ergo insanus sum