[Artemisia] Winning or Just Not Losing?

Mellane McCammon mellane30 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 14:30:54 CDT 2015

Hello all,

On some of the assertions made, it is correct that the only way to win
crown tournament is by fighting. The people that usually win those
tournaments, as well as other tournaments, have put in countless hours of
training and work to get good enough to be a crown contender. These people
often are involved in the other activities of the SCA as well. If it
doesn't make sense that a person who is good at combat is a good ruler,
then how would it make sense that someone good in an art would be a good
ruler? Would a pelican be a good ruler? There is no way to know until the
person has ruled. If we are strictly going by the idea of who would be a
good ruler, then we would have to turn more towards politics and
candidates. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your view, this
would turn a great many people away. Not only from our sport of fighting,
but from the SCA as a whole. If it is unfair (which is a word I despise)
then what would be fair? Regardless of the debate regarding 'how should
crowns be determined', I do not believe it is quibbling with regards to
cheating. Every sport, from Football to Olympic swimming deals with
cheating on one level or another. To say that we're quibbling about
cheating is rather insulting to all of us that play in our sport. It is
important to us, rather it's in a tournament or not. Please keep in mind,
not all who fight, win. It really is a level of training, persistance and
passion that will win at that level.

When it comes to dishonesty in fighting, it needs to be addressed in all
areas. There should be honesty at practice, at war and at tournaments.
Unfortunately, there are a few that feel honesty isn't as important as
winning.
How to deal with that situation is complicated due to the entirety of the
sport relying on the perception of the person in the armor and the people
watching. Is there obvious cheating? Yes, of course. But where is that
line? It's a very difficult question. I wish I had the answers but I don't.
Maybe the answer lies in changing the mind set of new fighters. I know for
me, I do my best to make sure I am, above all else, honorable. I would
never want my friends, family and especially my consort, to feel that I am
being anything less. Perhaps that example, if made by many, will have a
trickle down effect. In reality, though, it has been my observation that
the cheaters are a very small percentage. They are just the most
spotlighted.

I love the SCA and have decided that I will not let the negativity change
my love of the game. It is disheartening at times and has made me question
why I play. And I play for the love of all of it; the arts, the people, the
fighting, the pagentry. All of it.

Thanks for reading,

Vigdis