[Artemisia] Winning or Just Not Losing?

Illora illoraofthewestlea at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 1 15:14:25 CDT 2015

Well said!
Illora

-----
Hello all,

On some of the assertions made, it is correct that the only way to win crown
tournament is by fighting. The people that usually win those tournaments, as
well as other tournaments, have put in countless hours of training and work
to get good enough to be a crown contender. These people often are involved
in the other activities of the SCA as well. If it doesn't make sense that a
person who is good at combat is a good ruler, then how would it make sense
that someone good in an art would be a good ruler? Would a pelican be a good
ruler? There is no way to know until the person has ruled. If we are
strictly going by the idea of who would be a good ruler, then we would have
to turn more towards politics and candidates. Fortunately or unfortunately,
depending on your view, this would turn a great many people away. Not only
from our sport of fighting, but from the SCA as a whole. If it is unfair
(which is a word I despise) then what would be fair? Regardless of the
debate regarding 'how should crowns be determined', I do not believe it is
quibbling with regards to cheating. Every sport, from Football to Olympic
swimming deals

Vigdis