[Artemisia] Winning or Just Not Losing?

Susan E. Macnamara machay at xmission.com
Fri Oct 2 11:40:28 CDT 2015

Thanks!

So here are my thoughts on the issues. Just to be clear, I am not a
fighter. These are my opinions with explanations. I'm not trying to
sway anyone to them.

1. I joined knowing Crown would be decided by combat. I liked the idea
in the first place. I wasn't looking for an organization where voting
was a way of making decisions.

2. The Crowns sit the thrones for 6 months each. I know it is possible
for someone to do a lot of damage in that time frame, but it appears
to be very rare.

3. After their reign, they have to rejoin the populace and be one of
us again. They know they will have to live with our opinion of them
for a long long time. That in itself typically constrains people.
4. Even though the Crowns' decisions, within the constraints of rules
and tradition, can make important decision, those decisions impact
just one area of my life. I can't lose my job, my bank account, my
house, etc. Which isn't very period, actually.

5. I've observed one Tourney where clearly the person who won was a
"rhino" for that event. I didn't like it, lost respect for that
individual, and felt sorry for his consort. He wasn't in my Barony,
but heard through the "vine" that people did express their opinions,
both verbally and by their choices. That person has never competed
again.

6. When someone is a rhino and the Chivalry doesn't address it, I lose
respect for the Chivalry. Perhaps that doesn't directly impact anyone,
but I think it matters to them. Which is why I'm saying it. I don't
think I'm alone. So, Chivalry, if you won't respect your own honor, I
won't either.

7. I propose the populace express their opinions, privately, to one of
the Chivalry, so those peers understand we do pay attention. Doesn't
mean they have to agree with us, or act on our feedback. But their
knowing we are paying attention has a ripple effect. They will
naturally begin observing and considering the issue more consistently.

8. I am so glad the Aerie is active again! Maybe not everyone will pay
attention to us here, but so what. I ignore them on FB. Only one FB
site is official. If it isn't up to date, I can give my feedback. I
also recognize we are a volunteer organization, so there will be
problems with the currency of information. I just try to roll with it.

9. I'd appreciate reading the thoughts anyone may have on what I've
expressed. I might learn something!

YIS, Luveday