[Artemisia] Rose and Butterfly Tourney at Artemisia 20

Mike Bradley connor.mac.michil at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 00:22:08 CST 2017

Unto the Ladies of the Rose and Ladies of the Papillion of Artemisia,

and to the Ladies of the Rose and Ladies of the various orders for former
Princesses in whatever grand Kingdoms and Principalities this missive may
reach, (and, anyone wishing to forward this to other Kingdoms via various
means are welcome to do so)

and as well, to those that fight with rapier within Artemisia, and our
neighboring Kingdoms of the Outlands, An Tir, Caid, Atenveldt and beyond
that will be attending the Twentieth Anniversary of the Noble and Glorious
Sovereign Lands of Artemisia

Does HL Conchobhar mac Michil, by the Grace of Their Gryphon Majesties,
Defender of the White Scarf, send heartfelt and warm Greetings and
Salutations.

As the anniversary of the Kingdom draws close upon us, so does the time for
setting aside fighting for personal glory and raise arms in honorable
combat for the glory of the Queens, Princesses, Ladies of the Rose,
Papillion, Stag, and Solar Leaf (and all of the other Orders for
Viscountesses) who have supported and inspired the rapier community for all
of these years.  It is, once again time for the Rose and Butterfly Rapier
Tournament, now in it's ... well ... hard to calculate year! I held the
first R&B Tourney in 2004, so this would be the 14th year except it didn't
run last year, and was run by someone else under different rules two other
years. So this is either #11 or #13. I'm going with #11.

As Uprising did not happen last year, and I was approached about the
Tournament by Her Highness Artemisia before final decisions on Uprising
were made this year, and was asked if it could be held at the Kingom
Birthday, this year the Tourney is moving from its traditional spot at
Uprising to Artemisia 20th. This is consideration of people both from in
Kingdom and out who may have to choose between the two events.

Because it has been my great honor to run this tournament for many years,
and I plan on running it until I am no longer able, and this year the
tournament is particularly special to me personally, I'm going to quote
from the original annoucement on the reasons for this tournament:

"Conchobhar's (First Annual?) Rose and Butterfly Rapier Tournament

Rapier fighters in the SCA have traditionally fought for the honor of
the nobility of the fairer sex. The original Black Wing charter named
the Princess of Artemisia the patron; the current charter gives that
honor to the Queen. And, it is in this tradition of honoring the Queens
and Princesses that this tourney was concieved."

While I might phrase things slightly different these days, and the Black
Wing Company is long since retired, the sentiment remains the same.
Through the history of the Society, to the creation of the first White
Scarf of the Society, to the most recent elevation to the Order of Defense,
the rapier community, regardless of Kingdom, persona of the fighter, or
anything else, have fought for and gained inspiration from our Princesses
and Queens.  They inspire the community, and this tournament is, always has
been, and always will be for Us to go out, fight our best, and honor Them.

Now, on to the rules...

Those fighters wishing to enter must have a sponsor. Said sponsor must be a
member of the Order of the Rose (i.e., a Countess or Duchess), a Lady of
the Papillion[1] (Viscountess) or a currently seated Queen, Princess, or
Heir to one of those titles. Those Ladies eligible to sponsor fighters may
sponsor one fighter for each reign that they did serve; any variance from
that rule is at the whim of myself.  It should be noted that my whim always
includes reigning Queens and Princesses being able to sponsor as many
fighters as they wish, and to allow Crown Princesses and Tanistas (or
whatever Principalites call the Princess' Heir these days) to count their
upcoming reign when determining the number of fighters they can sponsor.
(For example, HG Renee could sponsor three fighters, twice Queen of
Artemisia and once Princess of Artemisia.) All fighters must have a letter
of marque from their Lady Sponsor, or be presented in person to the Marshal
of the Tournament (HL Conchobhar) on the day of the tournament before the
tournament starts.  My personal preference is for an e-mail from the
sponsor in advance, but hand-written and mailed or delivered by hand are
fine as well.  Even if you will have a hand-written letter (some of which
have been beautifully done and I love receiving) a quick email of intent
from the fighter or sponsor would be greatly appreciated (and by 'greatly
appreciated' I mean 'pretty pretty please?' as the more paperwork and
tourney prep I can get done before the tourney, the less time fighters are
waiting to cross blades while I get it all together).

The format for the Tournament will likely be, as it has in recent years, be
pooled fights, followed by a single elimination fight of the top fighters
from the pools.  Weapons are up to the fighter, unless the sponsor of the
fighter declares otherwise.  Meaning, fighters should bring their best, not
just match weapons with their opponents.

At this time, the list for the Whateverth Annual Rose and Butterfly
Tournament is now open.

In service to the Dream, the Crown of Artemisia, the Ladies of the Rose and
Papillion, and the Arte of Defense,
Don Conchobhar mac Michil, DWS Artemisia

[1] Or any one of the Orders for former Princesses.