[Blgspops] Meeting and calendar info (long - please read to the end!)

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Sat May 31 18:22:08 CDT 2014

Greetings!

Since there were not a lot of people at the performance today, and many
had to leave right away, here's the items I wanted to discuss/inform
everyone about:

Billings Pops Orchestra

End of Season business meeting, May 31, 2014

Officer and committee reports:

President: A very good year, overall. We had a good time with our fall
concert and the Christmas concert with the Chanters was also well
received. Our Spring concert 'tour' has been fun and good for our image.
The new Library venue is something we will want to use again, depending
on exact scheduling.

Vice-President: Phone tree is a work in progress. Membership
fluctuations make it sometimes tricky to notify everyone of changes to
our schedule.

Treasurer's report:

General Fund:$2149.80

Miles White Scholarship Fund:$1116.00

Total$3265.80

Secretary: Thank you notes for Mayor Tom Hanel and the Billings Public
Library will be sent out shortly.

Web person: Web site and FaceBook page are up to date.

President's note: Both look great and the pictures that Ginny and Stan
take are wonderful -- thanks for sharing them!

Music Committee:

One meeting held during the winter break. New music ordered, most of
which we performed this Spring. Need to hold another meeting during the
summer break to consider music for the fall and winter performances.
Will be scheduled later -- maybe early August?

Old Business:

Spring concert tour: Great job by everyone, especially with the
challenges of scheduling around other activities for the month of May.

New Business:

Scheduling for the fall and winter season needs to be considered now, so
we can reserve venues if we want to get a decent performance space.

We need more publicity in more areas. If someone would like to volunteer
to work on this over the summer, through getting us mentioned more often
on radio and TV and getting us more print notices, as well as
coordinating for our concerts during the year, that would be great!

We also need more members, in all sections. Spread the word, don't be shy!

Shrine Chanters Voices of Christmas: John has words about that. The
schedule is for a rehearsal on Dec 12 and performance on Dec 14, both at
the Alberta Bair Theater.

After that I also handed out the following:

Billings Pops Orchestra

Proposed Calendar for the 2014/2015 Season

Late July/Early August (date somewhere between July 25 and August 5):
Music Committee meets to look over catalogs and buy music for the fall

August 28 -- Potluck/Business meeting/hand out new music [ordered by
music committee]

September and October -- rehearsals. Reserve Library room around
September 18

Need publicity for concert as well as pushing for applications for the
Myles White Scholarship.

October 30 (Thursday) -- Fall Concert. Spooky/scary theme music (decided
on by music committee in the summer) a strong possibility. Venue: St
Luke's or the Library. Fundraiser for the Scholarship fund in
conjunction -- need ideas/someone to plan and execute.

November -- rehearsals. Christmas music from the library, probably one
or two pieces from fall concert for our 'spotlight' pieces. Subject to
change, depending on what the Chanters will be performing and if we will
be accompanying any special performers.

December -- rehearsals and concert.

Dec 4 and 11 at St Luke's -- hopefully with singers

Dec 12 (Friday) Tech/Dress rehearsal at Alberta Bair

Dec 14 (Sunday) Voices of Christmas concert at Alberta Bair

Dec 18 (Thursday) -- request from Aspen View for a Christmas concert

WINTER BREAK -- December 19, 2014 through Jan 7, 2015.

Music Committee and Board meeting somewhere between December 19, 2014
and January 8, 2015. Decide on date, venue and (theme?) music for Spring
Concert - Library/St Luke's/other suggestions welcome!

January 8 -- potluck/business meeting/new music discussion/rehearsal.
Start really putting the scholarship applications out to schools/music
teachers.

January -- April rehearsals

Deadline for Scholarship applications March 31.

April 30 (Thursday) or May 2 (Saturday) -- Spring Concert. Announce
Scholarship winner or winners. Fundraiser for music fund in conjunction
-- need ideas/someone to plan and execute.

May -- possibly repeat 2014 'Tour' of Highgate/Aspen Meadows/Aspen View, etc

This is all flexible, of course, but I think it gives us a good start
and framework for the upcoming year.

Everyone have a safe and fun summer and I'll message out when we want to
have the Music Committee (and anyone is welcome to join that committee!)
meet.

Jacquie ZIegler
President