[Blgspops] Concert info, update

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Sat Oct 18 12:16:05 CDT 2014

Hello everyone!

After going over the music info for the program with a couple of people,
I noticed something. We have a theme, of sorts.

So, I came up with a proposed 'title' for our concert.

Variations, a Fall Celebration

Please let me know what you think.

Below is the concert order, along with the draft of the notes for the
program. I'll send out a separate message with the members list in a
little bit.

> Billings Pops Orchestra Presents:
>
> Variations, a Fall Celebration
>
> October 30, 2014
>
> March to the Scaffold - Hector Berlioz (1831) from Symphonie Fantastique
>
> Convinced that his love is unappreciated, the artist poisons himself
> with opium. The dose of narcotic, while too weak to cause his death,
> plunges him into a heavy sleep accompanied by the strangest of
> visions. He dreams that he has killed his beloved, that he is
> condemned, led to the scaffold and is witnessing his own execution. As
> he cries for forgiveness the effects of the narcotic set in. He wants
> to hide but he cannot so he watches as an onlooker as he dies. The
> procession advances to the sound of a march that is sometimes somber
> and wild, and sometimes brilliant and solemn, in which a dull sound of
> heavy footsteps follows without transition the loudest outbursts. At
> the end of the march, the clarinet theme reappears like a final
> thought of love interrupted by the fatal blow of the guillotine when
> his head bounces down the steps, heard by plucked strings. The crowd
> cheers.
>
> Variations on a Theme by Haydn – Johannes Brahms (1873)
>
> The St Anthony Chorale, found in many hymnals as “We Thy People Praise
> Thee”, is the main theme. It's one of the earliest theme and
> variations known. Don't we all like to change ourselves a bit for
> Halloween? The composer is experimenting here with a musical idea.
>
> It Had Better Be Tonight - Henry Mancini (1963)
>
> This song was written for the Pink Panther movie starring Peter
> Sellers. The lyrics, in part, are “If you're ever gonna kiss me, it
> had better be tonight, while the mandolins are playing and stars are
> bright.”
>
> Capriccio Espagnol - Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Rimsky-Korsakov> (1887)
>
> This is the common Western title for a five movement orchestral suite,
> based on Spanish <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain> folk melodies,
> composed by the Russian <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia>. This
> arrangement by Richard Meyer features two sections of the original
> capriccio: the 'Alborada' (morning serenade) and the 'Fandango of the
> Asturias' (a dance traditionally played with guitar and castanet
> accompaniment).
>
> Variations on a Theme by Handel – Maurice Whitney (1958)
>
> The melody is passed around the orchestra like a hot potato. We hope
> you have as much fun listening as we do playing it.
>
> Symphony <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony> No. 2 in C minor
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_minor>, Op. 17 – Pyotr Ilyich
> Tchaikovsky (1872)
>
> Tchaikovsky wrote much of the Little Russian Symphony during his
> summer holiday at Kamenka in the Ukraine with his sister Aleksandra's
> family, the Davydovs. The Davydov estate had become the composer's
> favorite refuge. Alexandra had, in fact, encouraged the composer to
> [...]

If anyone has any suggestions for changes, please let me know!

Jacquie
President