[Ek_fiber] Introducing self

ARIRO53 at aol.com ARIRO53 at aol.com
Sat Jun 25 17:58:56 CDT 2005

OK, here goes.
My lord and I came to the SCA late but with luck not too late, in 2001.
We fabricated a ger (using the much flawed TI instructions), for our first
Pennsic, 2002, received a cartload of really wonderful advice on modification
from the folks of House Fabri up in Thescorre (who also fed us and shared mead
with us and were truly gentle), and we currently use a cotton webbing belt as
our "belly band."
My Dad was a merchant seaman, everything in my world was tied up in ropes or
webbing belts and anything cylindrical that could be carried was finished with
Turk's Head knots.
If it wasn't mundanely "Kristina" my middle name would be "string."
Ma started me doing stamped cross stitch when I wasn't even three ... keep
the child quiet and in one place ... and eventually we progressed to counted
cross, crewel, (dozens of pillow slips, dresser scarves and tablecoths) crochet
(wool garments and throws and also cotton as in doilies and bedspreads),
knitting (most recently caps and long socks for my lord), hairpin lace, needlepoint
(oh, those bargello pillow covers!) latch hook, punch needle work, pretty much
anything that could keep the hands busy when one sat down.
Since finding the SCA my lord and I have taken up Inkle and Tablet narrow
work, tent making (for fun ... we also sewed the Saxon Geteld from TI ... some of
us never learn, do we?) I've tried spinning (have spindles, have bags of wool
and roving and angora combed from the English Angora rabbit named Iris who
lives in my kitchen, can't remember how to begin ... duh!), he makes a bit of
mail ...another duh! as it was a class he enjoyed but he doesn't fight due to
the press of life, age, responsibilities and a lousy HMO, I sew a lot of lower
echelon field type garb which I trim with my Inkle bands ... one day I'll make
something suitable for court wear, maybe, and we are having more fun than we
can handle.
That's about it.
I'm always ready to learn some new use for string be it wool, linen, cotton
or what have you.
Peace, Johanne aff Wisby/JoAnna