[Ek_fiber] Possible Heraldic Solution

East Kingdom Chatelaine angharadoftherose at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 07:26:10 CDT 2005

Greetings all -

In my search for a picture of a heraldic distaff, I found this definition in a heraldic dictionary:

"Fusil - (fu'-sil) An elongated lozenge. The word comes from the French fuscan = a spindle, and the bearing is supposed to represent a distaff charged with a yarn.

"Fusils must be made long, and small in the middle. In the ancient coat of Montague [Montacute?], 'Argent, three fusils in fesse gules.' " - Peacham.

It has been said the Perceys derived their fusils from their lordship of Spindleton."

Here's a picture:

If the picture didn't come through, here's the URL (scroll down to geometric charges) - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jkmacmul/heraldry/

There are 36 fusil references in the SCA O&A (although most are fusily, which I think means some kind of background or other patterning) - http://oanda.sca.org/cgi-bin/oanda_bp.cgi?p=fusil&c=case-insensitive&l=50&s=name+only&d=modern&g=enabled&a=disabled - so we know that the College of Heralds wouldn't have a problem with using it as a charge.

It's fairly subtle, subtle enough to make us non-spinners not feel funny about carrying around a spinning tool that we can't use.  Anyway, I'll leave the rest of the decisions to the herald-types.  :)

Angharad