[EKStationers] Bookbinding in the Bhakail vicinity

Rachael Schechter rschecht at pobox.upenn.edu
Thu Apr 21 09:34:59 CDT 2005

We had 6 people at last night's bookbinding class in Hartshorn-dale, and
we made coptic bindings... a few of the books even ended up with endbands
(and we learned that the headbands work much better if the boards are cut
flush with the textblock, instead of with the margin that modern books
have).

So next meeting will be in May sometime - either on the campus of the
University of Pennsylvania or the campus of Bryn Mawr College.

We will be just going on to the next chapter in Szirmai's _Archaeology of
Medieval Bookbinding_, and trying to teach an Ethiopian codex for the next
class.  As far as I know, no one in the area has made this style binding,
so I will try to figure it out from the pictures.

Please note -- this looks like a difficult style of binding with two
needles and pushing thread through the same hole three or four times.

If anyone has tried to make this kind of book, I would welcome a guest
teacher or helpful tips.

 - Livia Petralia
mka Rachael Schechter