[EKStationers] Limp Binding Project

Lyle H. Gray gray at cs.umass.edu
Tue Dec 20 23:48:16 CST 2005

Hi, all.

Well, the handout for the limp binding project is finally
finished.  It's currently loaded at
http://members.verizon.net/~vze3wwx7/LimpBinding/LimpBinding.html
-- I also have a .PDF version of it for anyone who is interested.

Note:  There are a _lot_ of images on that page (58 of them).
If people find it too awkward to download that many images at the
same time, let me know and I'll break it into smaller pages.
Also, if there are any questions related to the instructions, let
me know -- I'll be perfectly happy to elaborate on them, and that
kind of feedback can go into updating the instructions.

Rafaella, I know you offered to host this handout.  I can either
ZIP a copy of all the files to send to you (all pointers are
relative within the HTML page), along with the PDF, or you can
link to this page from yours -- whichever works for you.

OK, now on to the proposed project.

We'd like to present Their Majesties with a gift from the Guild
at East Kingdom 12th Night.  That's not a lot of lead time,
unfortunately, and I know a number of people have their own
projects at this time of year, but we think that 12th Night would
be a good time to do this.  I'm afraid that Birka, while allowing
more lead time, is likely to have too full a docket to fit us in.

What we had in mind was to present a collection of blank limp
bindings for their use, either to use as gifts or as notebooks by
themselves and their entourage, or possibly both.  This would
give them an idea of part of what the Guild is and will be
capable of as we proceed in establishing ourselves.

We have the limp bindings with reinforced spines that I have just
finished the handouts for (sorry about the delay).  We also have
the option of the leather journals in the style produced by Lady
Ding Li Ying (see http://www.allboundup.com/journal_how.php for
her instructions on how they're done) or the soft-cover coptic
bindings of Meisterin Katarina Helene von Schoenborn (see
http://meisterin.katarina.home.comcast.net/coptic_book.html).

I can produce a hard-spined limp binding in 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and
I have in mind to produce at least a half a dozen of these for
12th Night.  What can I say?  I'm an over-achiever. ;-)  Still,
I'm hoping that I can gain a march on these by producing several
at the same time.

I'm hoping that some others here will also be able to produce one
or two each to include in the gift, so that we can truly say that
these are gifts of the guild, not just of one member of the
guild.

So, who's with me on this?

Regards,
Lyle FitzWilliam