[EKStationers] More links

Rachael Schechter rschecht at pobox.upenn.edu
Thu Mar 17 12:21:31 CST 2005

There was a discussion on the BookArts-L recently about medieval
reproduction book clasps and other hardware

Websites:
Joycelyn Merchant
http://www.bookclasp.com
Chicago, IL
(she added that she is scheduled to teach a workship this summer at the
Oregon Book Arts Guild Focus Conference, June 21 and 22.
http://www.oregonbookartsguild.org/metal_bookclasp_design.htm)

L.A. BookArts
http://www.bustombindery.com

People:
Barbara Joiner
talented silversmith/metalsmith and fine jeweler
Brasstown, NC

General Instructions:
"make them out of flat brass stock which can be cut and filed with
jewelers saw, tin snips, boardshear, and files..  "Rivets" are made out of
brass nails which can be fled flat until almost invisible.  And example of
clasps I made this way can be seen at
<http://www.philobiblon.com/examples/clasp2.jpg>. Another source (or ideas
or the real thing) is Buchbinder Muller at
<http://www.mueller-buch.de/bbset.htm>.  Links to images are at the top."
- Peter D. Verheyen

(for http://www.mueller-buch.de/bbset.htm, "click on the Haken link and
there are some nice early clasps.  Not sure if these are for sale or his
own work.") -- Vernon Wiering

(These are indeed for sale.  And there a price list ban be obtained.
Person vouches that the work is very nice and they are excellent
reproductions.) -- Fran Sendbuehler

("I have also bought these in the past, first at the Guild of Book Workers
Standards of Excellence Seminar, then by mail.  I was never disappointed.)
-- Signa Houghteling

Also --
Vernon Wiering
period bookbinding and restoration by hand.
Wiering Books
1553 Orville Street SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49507
http://www.wieringbooks.com