[EKStationers] book stuff

Rachael Schechter rschecht at pobox.upenn.edu
Wed Mar 30 08:21:32 CST 2005

The University of Pennsylvania's library has an upcoming exhibition
(http://www.library.upenn.edu/portal/events/):

Line and Letter: Examining a 16th-century Shirazi Manuscript
On exhibit from March 23 through May 23, 2005
Rosenwald Gallery, Van Pelt-Dietrich Library, 6th floor

Line and Letter: Examining a 16th-century Shirazi Manuscript offers a
unique opportunity to examine select folios from the University of
Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology's copy of the Khamseh
of Nizami, a twelfth-century quintet of poems that is among the most
copied and illustrated works of Persian literature. Following from
students' investigations of the Khamseh in Professor Renata Holod's Fall
2004 seminar on the arts of Iran, this exhibition will focus on aspects of
the manuscript's production in late-sixteenth-century Shiraz, a city known
for its large output of illustrated books.

**************

And the Book Arts Listserve just offered a bibliography about early books
in the Middle East:

_Origins of the Book_ by Mohamed A. Hussein, New York
Graphic Society, Ltd., Greenwich, Connecticut, 1970.

"Describing and illustrating the first development of
the book from early Pharonic times to the Arab Middle
Ages of the 14th century..."

_Islamic Bindings & Bookmaking_ by Gulnar Bosch, John
Carswell, and Guy Petherbridge.  University of Chicago,
1981.

Levey, Martin. "Mediaeval Arabic Bookmaking and its
Relation to Early Chemistry and Pharmacology".
_Transactions of the American Philosophical Society_;
1962; 52(4).

In other news, for those of you who have read so far, I think I have
dropped the ball on scheduling the next meeting.  Can someone who
remembers tell me how far I had gotten with deciding a date?  Were we
trying for a Wednesday?

Thank you.

 - Livia Petralia
mka Rachael Schechter