[EKStationers] RE: Proof presses (was Re: Upcoming quarterly report)

Iheronimus Brückner iheronimus at comcast.net
Tue May 23 23:20:44 CDT 2006

On May 23, 2006, at 10:15 PM, Lyle H. Gray wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2006, [ISO-8859-1] Iheronimus Brückner wrote:
>
>> I remember seeing an Italian (wood cut?) of someone rolling a
>> very large cylinder over (cuts?) to make an impression. I
>> have had a discussion with someone else who argues that it is
>> not relief printing, but intaglio (engraving).
>
> Since the Vandercook was reportedly originally for test printing
> engravings, that could very well be.  However, I would still
> think that you'd get more pressure out of a standing press, which
> you need for intaglio printing.

Actually you get more pressure out of a cylinder press, since the
contact
area is relatively small, and the resulting pounds-per-square inch is
higher
than a large platen can muster. It just  doesn't try to do it all at
once...

> Of course, you would get more pressure when doing raised surface
> printing (type, wood cuts, etc) from a standing press than by
> using the Rolling Pin of Doom (TM). ;-)

Are you absolutely certain John didn't sell you a cast iron pasta
machine?

8)

Iheronimus