[EKStationers] Ethiopian Codex and Madhar

Rachael Schechter rschecht at pobox.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 7 12:08:10 CST 2006

I just took a workshop from Gary Frost and Joyce Miller of Iowa Book
Works, and one of the books we made was an Ethiopian Codex with a
Mahdar amulet case (http://iowabookworks.bookways.com/kits).

This book would be a nifty companion piece to european vade mecum
books.

Now I am pretty sure Szirmai will take care of documenting the tunnel-
sewn boards link stitch book structure, I would also like to be able
to document the carrying case.

The reference piece from which our books were developed was only
dated to the ninth century.

A quick look on the internet, however, has yielded some nice pictures
of the structure (http://www.africadirect.com/productsdesc.php?
ID=21458) and a possible author worth investigating (http://www.sbl-
site.org/Congresses/Congresses_Abstracts.aspx?MeetingId=5 See:
Scribal Practices in Ethiopian Psalters as Expressions of
Identification and Differentiation. Steve Delamarter, George Fox
University).

Feel free to offer suggestions for other places to look. I shall do
a more thorough library search on Wednesday.

Thank you.

- Livia Petralia