[EKStationers] Using Crane's paper

Lyle H. Gray gray at cs.umass.edu
Mon Mar 5 11:38:27 CST 2007

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, mandy poirier wrote:

>  Hi, sadly I can't say right off which books would have used
> that particular paper, but there are many drawings from our
> late period floating around that all seem to be done on laid
> paper and many modern book crafters preferr laid paper...
>  so I'd be curious to learn more myself :)

Well, it's kind of simple -- books made in period that used paper
used laid paper, of two main types:  Laid on screens, or laid on
linen.  The Crane paper that we used had visible lines on the
surface as if it were laid on screens in the making, as well as
the imprint of the Crane crest.  I like it because of that, and
also because it provides lines for nice neat writing. ;-)

But it costs $34.00 plus shipping per ream (500 sheets), so it's
not cheap (to put it in perspective -- the paper I use in the
printer (20#) costs between $3.00 and $6.00 per ream, depending
on the type I'm using).

Lyle

--
Lyle H. Gray