[EKStationers] coptic binding and Donnal gets his AoA

Heather Gray march.hare at verizon.net
Mon Mar 31 10:53:22 CDT 2008

Elise said:
>I've had a chance to make about three soft-cover coptic books. I found some instructions online and
>decided to try some. Two I made with leather covers which worked and one with fabric (which didn't
>cause I'm think I rushed the fabric finishing).
>
>I've given all of them away, one leather one to the Coronet Ruantallan.
>
>I've also now tried my hand at a Japanese binding. Cannot remember the name, but it's the one with holes
>punched through the front cover to back and the linen stitching around the front and back of the cover.
>Those are fun to make.

Sounds good!  We just got in some fresh supplies for doing reinforced spine bindings, using drumskins for the vellum covers. Works pretty well.  The drumskins cost a lot less than vellum for writing on, since it doesn't require the same kind of finishing work.

>I won't be able to be at Coronation and will have nothing available for a gift.

Maybe next time.

>BTW, Lord Donnal O Neil from Ruantallan just received his AoA. at EKU. He has been doing wonders teaching people about bookbinding . . . all thanks to his start with Master Lyle's class at a previous EKU up here.

Many congratulations to him!  And glad to hear he's been spreading bookbinding knowledge and skills too!!

And, congratulations to you as well, on your induction into the Order of the Pelican, Mistress!

Cheers,
Elwynne