[EKStationers] Fwd: [BKARTS] Call for: Time Travelers / Historical Book Structures

Rachael Schechter rschecht at pobox.upenn.edu
Tue Oct 25 16:30:33 CDT 2011

 From the book arts list, this looks like an ideal call for SCA artisans.

  - Livia Petralia

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[BKARTS] Call for: Time Travelers / Historical Book Structures
Date: 	Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:03:20 -0400
From: 	Laurie Corral <laurie at ASHEVILLEBOOKWORKS.COM>
To: 	BOOK_ARTS-L at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

Greetings,
BookWorks Gallery is seeking work for an upcoming show of handmade books with the theme of Time Travelers / Historical Book Structures.

Preference will be given to bindings based on the artist’s personal research into an historical structure, including design sensibilities and techniques. Exhibit will showcase works with technical skill and artistic expression within an historical framework. Focus on books made by hand, based on structures from the birth of the book to the encroachment of the machine-assisted binding.

We hope to present a range of cultural traditions and periods, showing how books have developed and changed over time and distance. We’re in search of books that go above and beyond examples made in classroom or workshop settings.

Juror

Jana Pullman, bookbinder, book conservator and book arts instructor, is the featured juror. (http://aboutthebinding.blogspot.com/)

Exhibition Dates: January 10 - February 29, 2012 in the BookWorks Gallery. Asheville BookWorks will also create an on-line gallery.

Location

Asheville BookWorks Gallery, 428 ½ Haywood Road, West Asheville, NC, 28806. BookWorks is a community resource for print and book arts located in West Asheville, North Carolina. Through classes, exhibits, lectures, and annual events, Asheville BookWorks has become a gathering place for individuals with an interest in artists’ books, handmade books, papermaking, printmaking and letterpress. We are pleased to provide space, equipment and technical support for artistic exploration, collaboration and the sharing of knowledge.

For a full description and important dates in PDF format, please go to Time Travelers / Historical Book Structures.

Looking forward, many thanks, Laurie Corral

Laurie Corral
Asheville BookWorks
428 1/2 Haywood Road
Asheville, NC 28806