[Sca-librarians] Introductions!

Sally Burnell sburnell at raex.com
Sat Sep 11 20:13:56 CDT 2004

Hello, Fellow SCAdian librarians!

     I heard about this list at the Knowne World Librarians meeting at
Pennsic and have been meaning to join, but just did so now, so allow me
to introduce myself.

     In the Real World, my name is Sally Burnell and I am a 21 year
employee of the Akron-Summit County Public Library system, working the
whole time as a paraprofessional librarian in the bookmobile/Outreach
Department. I'm 47 years old, hold a B.A. in Theatre from Kent State
University (1979) and minored in Archaeology. I've lived in Kent since
I was 2 years old, all of it in the same two block neighbourhood (OK,
so I'm a hopeless homebody!). I wanted to go to Library School and have
for 21 years, but it's financially impossible for me to do so. Tuition
is too high and my salary is too small (I'm sure that all of you will
agree - we didn't go into this for the money, we went into it for love
of the career field!).

     I was lucky with my undergrad degree - I was the indirect
beneficiary of the G.I. Bill in that my father, a WWII veteran, was
able to get out of West Virginia and go to college on it, where he
decided to become a professor, and so, just shy of completing his Ph.
D. in sociology, he was killed in a car accident in 1961 while driving
to teach night classes at a branch campus of Kent State. His VA
survivor's benefits, plus his Social Security survivor's benefits, plus
being the daughter of deceased faculty and thus eligible for free
tuition, got me through college, which made my widowed mother very
happy that her four children could get a college education at little to
no cost to her.

     Anyway, that little bit of personal information aside, in the SCA,
I am known as THLady Saradwen Ariandalen. I reside in the Marche of
Gwyntarian (Portage/Summit Counties, OH), which is part of the brand
new Barony of Brendoken in the Northern Oaken Region of the Middle
Kingdom. I have been in the SCA for 27 years now, joining as a 20 year
old college junior at Kent State in 1977. I hold an Award of Arms, the
Award of the Purple Fret (an AoA level service award), the Order of the
Willow (an AoA level A&S award), the Order of the Evergreen (a Grant
level A&S award) and the Order of the Dragon's Heart (a Grant level
service award).

     Mostly I got my service awards for holding far too many offices to
count over far too many years to count, plus numerous other odds 'n'
ends, my A&S awards are for scribal arts, as I am a practicing scribe
(although not so much this year as my health took a nosedive last fall
and I am finally out of the woods, having had my last serious illness
in mid-June, a bad case of shingles!) and I also, when arm twisted hard
enough, do music as well (I'm terribly shy about singing and playing in
public!). I also dabble in fibre arts at times. This having been a
tough year, I've been laying low and not doing much but letting my body
heal up from so many illnesses.

     You will also see me at Pennsic schlepping water about on the
battlefields as a very hard seasoned waterbearer, having been on the
inaugural waterbearer's corps at PW 8. I teach waterbearing in addition
to Pennsic survival for newbies (as well as scribing!). Having been
through floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, snow (yes, snow at Pennsic!),
high wind, mud, blistering heat and other challenges from Mother Nature
and having survived all of that over the years, I can honestly say that
I am qualified to teach basic camp survival techniques, or at least how
to keep your sense of humour when everything else around you is falling
apart.

     Anyway, not to ramble on at too much length, but I felt that an
intro was in order. I promise I won't be so verbose next time! (OK, so
I'll REALLY try, honest! :-D  )

I look forward to meeting others of you librarians on this list!

~Saradwen
Midrealm