[Sca-librarians] pretty new book

mhermance4 mhermance4 at myway.com
Tue Feb 1 16:37:15 CST 2005

 My library just got in <Samurai: the story of Japan's Great Warriors> by Stephen Turnbull (New York: Sterling Publishing, 2004) ISBN 1-85648-703-2. This is my kind of book. The pictures are clear, well chosen, and abundant without scrimping on the text. The text is neither oversimplified nor dryly scholarly. There is information here for both the beginner and the interested layman who already knows something on the subject. There are four see-through vellum sections that show the armor layer by layer for four different eras; a real treat. Beside the armor, weapons, and tactics, daily life is covered. It's refreshing to find information on the food and drink of the low ranking samurai as well as the daimio.

 My word, it's been a while since I tried to do a book review. Whew! Tuiren