[Sca-librarians] Visual artwork & copyright question

Lisa Tyson Lisa_Tyson at umit.maine.edu
Thu Jun 9 11:20:21 CDT 2005

Oh crumb.. I really have to update my
email address book for this list. I sent
this to the old address. My apologies
for those of you who see it twice.

Bryn Millar

		Thursday, June 09, 2005 9:56:18 AM
Message
From:		Lisa Tyson
Subject:	visual artwork & copyright question
To:		scalibrarian

Ok, I have a question about copyright and artwork from
the perspective of someone wishing to do scribal work
and who is learning to develop an eye/feel for it.
I'd like to start with the question here before moving it
to a scribal forum because I'd like to be reminded of
what library resources are out there for me to refer to.

Here I am, newbie scribe, looking at pretty illuminated letters
done by other artists. Ok, it's a cinch to realize that the professional
artist's version of a celtic illuminated letter is copyrighted
(and I know that other works I see have an implicit copyright
anyways...).

I see some design elements I like... general shape of the letter,
I like the pattern used inside the letter, enjoy the colors chosen,
like the additional decorative details used around it.  The artist
combined several common design elements I recognize into
something that is a modern interpretation between celtic and
renaissance (given my level of understanding).

Now, this letter inspires me to want to design a different letter.
I know that if I stick with the design elements of this original
I could probably create a letter that would be a close interpretation
of the overall look and feel, thus violating the artist's copyright
(which is not desirable).

I'm not as well acquainted with specifics of copyright for works of art
as I have been with text copyright.  I think there might be a guide
list that states what design differences there should be present for
your piece to be identifieable as uniquely "yours" (sort of like
heraldry, where you have to have certain key differences between
two similar charges for them to be considered to be different enough).

Does anyone know of such resource(s) available by web or print?
I work a completely different job now (outside of a library) and I've
never had to directly answer an issue like this with the reference
classwork I've had.

It is important for me to keep in mind some guidelines for creating
unique pieces that respects the rights of the artists whose work
I see and appreciate. I would like to develop some designs to put
up on the web so it is important that I become familiar with some
basic guidelines now.

Thanks for any input.
Bryn Millar