[Sca-librarians] A question as regards libraries in general

Sally Burnell sburnell at raex.com
Thu Mar 10 15:37:44 CST 2005

Unfortunately, libraries have very much been put in the position of
having to compete with Borders Books, so cafés are becoming the new way
to attract patrons into them to be able to stay in business.

It's become a whole new ballgame out there with regard to libraries. We
just moved into a new $57 million + Main Library last year and the
original intent was to allow patrons to wander among the stacks with
their coffee and bagels (or whatever food purchases they might make at
the café that has yet to open, delayed due to some sticky contract
issues with the company set to run the joint). Well, we already had an
open food and drink policy in the stacks as it was, but it was just
rescinded due to maintenance issues (DUH! We could have told them how
much more cleaning the janitorial staff, far too small for this
voluminous building, would face! Took 'em a few months to figure that
one out on their own!)

So, yeah, nearly every library now will feature a snack bar/café in an
attempt to woo business away from Borders. It's become a cutthroat kind
of thing between us and them. Their parking lots are consistently full,
their stores are busy, and we........aren't. Well, except for the video
section of the library, always full of patrons. Books? Sadly, no one
reads anymore, so.....they sit and collect dust. So we throw 'em away
to make more room for videos.

Libraries just aren't the bastions of learning anymore, sadly. They're
competing with Blockbuster and Borders for the hearts and minds of the
patrons. And that means offering pizza, coffee, bagels and whatever
else to woo them into our doors.

~Saradwen
Sally Burnell
Akron-Summit County Public Library