[Sca-librarians] Re: Sca-librarians Digest, Vol 9, Issue 7

Sally Burnell sburnell at raex.com
Fri Mar 11 21:23:11 CST 2005

> > Yeah, see, what Sodexho wanted out of us is a $180,000 "guarantee"
> > payment; in other words, before they'd set up shop running a café
in
> > our library, they wanted us to pay that sum up front as a guarantee
> > that they wouldn't lose their shirts running such an etablishment
in a
> > library,

> Did y'all tell them that in a Free Enterprise System they take their
shot just like every other business and it is up to them to make it a
success?

Well, I certainly hope that our library management told them this. I
guess this kind of arrangement is becoming more the norm, from what I
hear out there. Developers have to pay businesses these "guarantees"
that want to set up shop in strip malls, so that, if the business loses
its shirt, it won't be totally out money it might have earned if it had
been more successful.

Guess we, the library, aren't any different. The business we contracted
to set up our café, Sodexho, wanted us to pay their "guarantee" just in
case the thing isn't successful and has to close its doors. This way,
they can at least walk away having made some money and not totally
losing their shirts, at least I guess that's the thinking nowadays.

I dunno. Different world out there these days when it comes to business
matters. :-\

~Saradwen