[Sca-librarians] Iron Gall Ink

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 31 14:41:20 CDT 2006

On Aug 31, 2006, at 10:44 AM, Anplica Fiore wrote:

> A blurb on this week's newsletter from American Library Association
> directed me to a site on iron gall ink.  This ink was used quite a bit
> in our period of study since it is somewhat permanent and .  The
> downside is depending on the recipe used in its creation and the
> condition it's stored in it can cause the degradation of the paper it
> is used on.  For more information on this fascinating ink, including
> recipes and conservation techniques for documents written in iron gall
> ink, check out the ink corrosion website:
> http://www.knaw.nl/ecpa/ink/.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> In Service to the Dream,
>
> Signora Anpliça Fiore
> Compass & Ministraro Herald - Kingdom of Northshield

Thanks. This site has some nice material on this, although I've
always heard it called "oak gall ink".

For some more info on medieval inks, there is also this file in the
SCRIBAL-ARTS section of the Florilegium:
inks-msg          (46K)  5/ 3/01    Period and SCA inks for calligraphy.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com