[Sca-librarians] costuming question

mhermance4 mhermance4 at myway.com
Tue Sep 26 10:41:09 CDT 2006

 OK, I've been going nuts with this for months. I've been looking for traditional/tribal African costume information. I have a friend who's working on an adaptation of some African folktales for the stage, and would like the costumes to be based on traditional garb. I thought "Sure, piece of cake. One library I worked at even had little cutout figures in traditional dress that I put up for Black History month. i work in a big library system, so between that and the 'net, I should be able to find a lotta stuff." Nope. I can't even find the $#@! cutouts. You get the idea.
 Can anybody help? Just clear pictures from South or West Africa (not the Masai in Kenya, or desert folk). I'm not looking for construction instruction, and I have plenty about the history of kente cloth. Book titles (bless interlibrary loan!), websites, Simplicity patterns (yeah, right), you name it.
 Yours in desperation, Tuiren