[Sca-librarians] Are we REALLY a scholarly barony?

Cash, John Joseph jcash at indiana.edu
Fri Aug 17 07:32:42 CDT 2007

Dear folks,

Quoting Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>:

> I note that one can learn about saints but  Food History and what they
> ate is not included.
> Nor is Agriculture. Arithmetic and Astronomy -- yes. The role of Women
> -- NO!
>
> I don't think it's worth our time.
>
> Johnnae (who actually graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a BA in History,
> concentrated in Medieval and no
> this was not my program.)

I did a quick look-over of the site, and have a few comments. First, it
is geared toward training students in academic research, so it picks
the classic works (Coulton for example) and the classic fields. Whether
it ought to pick newer fields (such as women's studies) as options is a
good question. Second, agriculture and the role of women are covered in
articles in the Anthropology and Sociology sections (which might tell
you something about how medieval studies as an academic field is
organized conceptually). Third, the site is under revision, and
comments to the site manager are welcomed. Here's your chance to have
an impact.

-- Johannes