[Sca-librarians] OT(?) Website source credibility

Winifred King faeling at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 13:15:46 CST 2007

Greetings unto the list.
I am a medical librarian. I took a look at healthopedia, and am not
much impressed. though it seems to be maintained by health
professionals, the amount of ads on every page of results is of
concern. It might be difficult for the average patron to sort through
the ads to find the actual information.

In terms of similar health portals, I would recommend NOAH - New York
Online Access to Health (http://www.noah-health.org/) as an example of
how a site that "filters" its results should be organized. In the
interests of full disclosure, I am an editor for NOAH. But that being
said, I would also recommend MedlinePlus (http://medlineplus.gov/ -
which is a less homegrown thing than NOAH, being put out by the
National Library of Medicine.

In service,

Winifred S. King / Zill
Coordinator, Education and Outreach Services
New York Academy of Medicine Library
www.nyam.org/library