[Sca-librarians] Middle English Compendium available online FREE

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jan 31 14:03:11 CST 2007

Heard about this from Sir Thorson... wheee!!!

How geeky is it that this news has me thrilled?
The University of Michigan announces that under new arrangements worked
out between the University Press and the University Library, all
components
of the online "Middle English Compendium," including the online version
of
the Middle English Dictionary, are now freely accessible without fee,
password, or any other impediment to access:

<http://ets.umdl.umich.edu/m/mec>

The MED has hitherto been available only on a subscription or
password-protected basis, till the Press recouped its substantial
contribution to the original conversion costs. This has now been
accomplished, and we are grateful for their agreement that the time has
come to liberate it.

It was always our hope and intention to open the MED when we could,
both in the general interest of public access (to which as a public
university
library we are dedicated), and with the expectation that open access
will facilitate eventual interlinking amongst sibling dictionaries and
between MED and other projects (e.g. online editions, which are now free
link lexical lookups to the appropriate MED entry).

The official press release is here:
http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/story.php?id=3125

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net