[Sca-librarians] Fw: Union Catalog of pre-1600-relevant online books

Carowyn Silveroak silveroak at juno.com
Wed May 30 17:36:51 CDT 2007

Forwarded with permission!

-Carowyn

----- Forwarded Message -----

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Greetings to the Known World, from Gregory Bount!

You've probably heard that several groups are busily digitizing lots of
out of copyright books. I've put together a website that lists books from
several such efforts, and have marked most of the ones relevant to the
SCA period. You can browse it by subject, and you can search it.

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/union/

There are currently 160,000 books total, of which 12,500 are
pre-1600-relevant. I'm currently adding about 20,000 books per month.

There's lots of good stuff in there:

* A complete set of Burton's unexpurgated Arabian Nights
* Various editions of Percy's Reliques
* Numerous books printed by William Caxton, the first English printer
* Lots of really bad fiction about the Middle Ages written by Victorians
* A plethora of books arguing that the Norse discovered America
* And more!

I hope that you find this resource to be useful. Please re-post this to
kingdom and local mailing lists.

-- Gregory